In the December 2022 Wilderness & Environmental Medicine Editor’s Note
1, the author briefly discussed the challenges of delivering healthcare in regions impacted by a changing climate. The author suggested that, due to these burgeoning challenges, the relevance of wilderness and environmental medicine is now arguably greater than ever. Dramatic environmental events such as the profound late spring and summer 2022 flooding in Pakistan caused by heavier than normal monsoon rains and the rapid glacial melt following a severe heat wave are quite likely to become more frequent in and around the mountain regions of Asia. The seemingly inexorable effects of what we have come to term “climate change” has touched us all, and will, without doubt, continue to affect our lives in major ways into the future. Peoples living among the many mountain ranges of Asia—the Himalaya being the largest at approximately 2,400 km in length—and those whose lives are influenced by these great ranges, will clearly not escape the consequences brought by a changing climate.
- Binder W.D.
Perspectives on wilderness.
Wilderness Environ Med. 2022; 33: 367-368
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Wilderness & Environmental Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Perspectives on wilderness.Wilderness Environ Med. 2022; 33: 367-368
- Himalaya: A Human History.The Bodley Head, London2020
- On the attribution of industrial-era glacier mass loss to anthropogenic climate change.Cryosphere. 2021; 15: 1889-1905
- Accelerated global glacier mass loss in the early twenty-first century.Nature. 2021; 592: 726-731
- What We Know About Climate Change.The Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, Cambridge, MA2018
- The Impact of Climate Change on Human Health.Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD2017
- Climate Change in the Himalayas.Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland2018
© 2023 Wilderness Medical Society. Published by Elsevier Inc.