Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Melursus ursinus (amended version of 2016 assessment).The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2020; (https://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2020-1.RLTS.T13143A166519315.en. Accessed on 16 May 2022.)e.T13143A166519315
- Manual of the Mammals of Sri Lanka.2nd ed. Wildlife and Nature Protection Society of Sri Lanka, 1980
- The status of the sloth bear in Sri Lanka.in: Understanding Asian Bears to Secure Their Future. Japan Bear Network, Japan, 2006: 35-40
Banks J, Banks J. A Selection of the Animals of Sri Lanka. 1st ed. Colombo, Sri Lanka: Lake House Investments; 1986.
- Challenges of large carnivore conservation: Sloth bear attacks in Sri Lanka.Hum Ecol. 2014; 42: 467-479
- Sloth bear attack behavior and a behavioral approach to safety.Final Report to International Association for Bear Research and Management, 2017
- Hunting & shooting in Ceylon.Longmans, Green, & Co., London (UK)1907
- A review of 48 patients after bear attacks in central India: demographics, management and outcomes.Indian J Plast Surg. 2015; 48: 60-65
- Characteristics of human - sloth bear (Melursus ursinus) encounters and the resulting human casualties in the Kanha-Pench corridor, Madhya pradesh, India.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0176612
- Assessment of human–sloth bear conflicts in north Gujarat, India.Ursus. 2016; 27: 5-10
- Human injury inflicted by grizzly bears.Science. 1970; 170: 593-598
- Bear maulings treated in Calgary, Alberta: their management and sequelae.Can J Plast Surg. 2006; 14: 158-162
- Sloth bear attacks on the deccan Plateau of Karnataka, India.Ursus. 2020. 2020; 31: 1-11
- Characteristics of sloth bear attacks and human casualties in north Bilaspur forest division, Chhattisgarh, India.Ursus. 2005; 16: 263-267
- Human sloth bear (Melursus ursinus ursinus shaw, 1791) conflict in Sathyamangalam wildlife sanctuary.in: 21st International Conference on the International Association for Bear Research and Management. India, New Delhi2012: 172-175
Haughton S. Sport and travel (in Ceylon). 1st ed. Dublin: The University Press. 2nd ed. 1916.
- Pattern of bear maul maxillofacial injuries in Kashmir.Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 1: 96-101
- Notes on a dead bear.Loris. 1968; 11: 182-183
- Bacteriology of a bear bite wound to a human: case report.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 3374-3376
- Animal bites—should primary reconstruction be the standard treatment?.Eur J Plast Surg. 2011; 34: 367-373
- Maxillofacial injuries due to bear mauling.J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2011; 10: 85-89
- Grievous temporal and occipital injury caused by a bear attack.Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2013. 2013; : 1-5
- Pattern of bear maul injuries in tertiary hospital in Nepal: demographic, management and outcome.J Soc Surg Nepal. 2017; 18: 17-22
- The Veddas.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (UK)1911
- Fatal attacks by American black bear on people: 1900–2009.J Wild Manage. 2011; 75: 596-603